Friday, June 17, 2011

Week Three, Day Five!

I am the cat whisperer.

Tonight, after I ate my last meal, I went for a walk because I was afraid I would fall asleep right after I ate, and I know that's a bad thing.

So I took my phone, which has exactly 4 songs downloaded onto it (Adele's Rollin' in the Deep, Cee-Lo's Fuck You, Lupe Fiasco's The Show Goes On, and Avril Lavigne's What the Hell), and was singing my little heart out for the cows.


I listened to all four songs and turned around to walk back when I heard what sounded like a kitten in distress.  I didn't get excited because I hear this sound all of the time, and I am forever disappointed because it is always a bird that sounds like a cat. 

Except tonight was something different.  I made noises back to it, and it made noises back to me.  I couldn't help but drag myself across the field to get a closer look.  Long story short, I eventually found the cat.  It was huge and puffy and in a tree.  It was getting dark so I was really wanted to help this cat and get on with life.  So I ducked under a tree branch, I'm using my cell phone as a light, and FINALLY reached the spot where this cat was at, and reached up to help the distressed thing, and, you called it, the cat darted from the tree and was fine.

UGH!  Disappointed that I wasn't actually helping the cat, I turned around and left.  Except that the forlorn calls of this kitten started up again, so I returned to see what exactly I could do for the kitten.  I just couldn't bear to leave it alone.

Of course, it wouldn't let me catch it, so I tried to leave again.  For almost 3 hours, this went on.  I would try to leave, but the desperate cries of this poor kitten would pull me back.

I firmly believe in my ability to communicate with cats...hahaha, well, I kinda believe I can manage to catch a kitten, so that's why I stayed.  I meowed at this cat in a hedgerow in a field for 3 hours.  I used my cell phone light to attract it.  It worked, but when it came close, I couldn't bear to break it's trust by pouncing on it, so I let it check me out and run away.

Then, an hour later, it came back out of the trees/bushes, and even paused by my leg.  Again, it didn't seem like it would be successful, and I kind of figured I had one shot at this.  Then it occurred to me that I had my earbuds with me, and what kitten can resist swinging earbuds???

This was getting serious.  I couldn't leave the kitten because I was sure it would die if I did, and I just couldn't stand myself if I walked away.  Yet, I had been getting eaten alive by bugs, and had been sitting/kneeling in a muddy field since 8:30pm.  Something's gotta give.

The earbuds did the trick!  And the kitten was so tiny, all skin and bones.  It hardly resisted when I picked it up, which I would chalk up to sheer exhaustion.  I held it by it's scruff (for my safety and I hear it's calming for kittens), and grabbed the bottom of my shirt to make a sling for it, and the poor thing fell asleep while I was walking home.

I was honest to god thinking, "Please do not tell me this cat just died."  I really wouldn't have been too surprised.

So, now I have a 5 or 6 week old abandoned kitten that is all skin and bones and no idea what to do with it. And I can't keep it, I'm not allowed to have animals, nor do I have the money to provide for it.  I will probably take it to the ASPCA, but somehow I doubt they have huge openings for abandoned kittens.



I fed it some fish and gave it some water, but had no idea how much to feed it, or how fast.

While it was sitting on my lap, it peed all over me.  That was our first bonding moment, I suppose.

Anyway, I gotta go to bed.

For the RELEVANT part of my blog, I had a great day today.  I got up and did my bear-run at 6am, and it was gorgeous out.  I managed to eat almost clean when I attended a conference today, and I didn't take a nap.I also finally connected the dots on my 3 weeks of weight loss.  I'll have to take a picture and post it soon!  Lots of fluctuation.

Now it's time for me to FINALLY go to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment