Monday, June 20, 2011

Week Four, DAY ONE!

I can hardly believe that I'm starting Week 4.

And, today is measurement day.  I have to say, I am not thrilled with weighing and measuring myself right now.  It would be easy to get discouraged if I chose to let myself.

I weigh 142.0lbs.  My measurements are exactly the same, give or take a quarter inch on my butt.

That being said, last week, I really could have done a lot better with the diet than I did, and I didn't work out 3 of the 7 days.

So, this week I'm starting anew.  Just like I do every day, but this time a little more focused and with a little more understanding.

This week my focus is on making sure I get enough sleep.  Well, to be more specific, it's about making sure I get to bed at 10pm everynight.  10:30 at the latest.

Last night I had to leave things undone in order to do that.  Tonight, I should have an easier time.  I'd like to be watching an episode of Dexter right now, but instead, I am making the choice to go to bed.  It will make a HUGE difference in my life if I go to bed early tonight.  It will NOT make a significant difference in my life if I don't watch Dexter.

Today was also my first, real, "OH-MY-GOD I-WANT-A-PUDDING-SNACK" moment.  It started at work...it may have been stress-related.  I've just been waiting it out.  I really thought I was going to cheat (by the way, I hate the word "cheat" when it comes to dieting.  People cheat on tests to get better grades.  When people cheat on diets, they don't get a shortcut to losing weight-so I have to call it something else).  I was really going to let my craving get the better of me.  I was imagining how delicious a pudding snack would be...

The thought ran through my head of "how bad can it possibly be?"  I thought about texting Amy to ask for help, with a thinly-veiled hope that she would say, "If your body really wants it, you should have it!"  Then I realized that I was putting the responsibility of the success of my weight loss on her shoulders.

So I decided that I COULDN'T cheat, because Amy would be disappointed in me.

Then I realized that this will never work if I'm worried about Amy being the one to hold me accountable, or if her disappointment is more important than my own.

I remembered that this is a lifestyle, and there will be bumps in the road.  Every time I give in to a craving, I am reinforcing the wiring in my brain that wants me to eat high-calorie, low nutrient food.  Every time I replace it with something that actually nourishes my body, I'm doing myself a HUGE favor.

So, today was a pretty good day.  I got up late (6:30am...and dragged myself out of bed at that).  I didn't get to run right away, because I had to feed the kitten and catch it pooping on something I own.

Finally, at 7am, I went out for my bear runs.  I warmed up for about six minutes, and took off for my first 30 second interval...and my right quad seized up.  This was not a good feeling.  My left quad did something similar, but to less of an extent.  I had no idea why that would happen.  I thought maybe I was dehydrated...I didn't drink as much water as I should have yesterday.

So, of course I keep plowing through them, although I simply couldn't run as fast as I normally do.  If I tried, my muscle would get so tight it would feel like a stabbing pain.  So, I did 10 less intense bear runs out, then did a slow jog back to try and get my quads loosened up.  The damage was done, unfortunately.

Amy told me to rest for a couple of days and rub lots of something called arnica gel on it.  I wanted to go to the Kerry class tonight, but after speaking with Amy decided that it's really not going to help me in the long run, and right now what my body needs is rest.

The rest of the day was a little bit off, but not a huge adjustment from what I did yesterday.  I didn't get to actually EAT my breakfast until 8:45am.  And can I tell you how frustrating it is that it takes me so long to eat my meals or get ANYTHING DONE?!?!?  Meal #2 was at 12pm...but punctuated with telling co-workers about the kitty, Meal #3 was 3:45pm (later than it should have been) and Meal #4 was at 6:30pm.  I only had 4 meals today.  Because I got started late, and I knew I wanted to go to bed early.  It's probably a bad idea.  In fact, I've blogged about it being a bad idea, but I just don't know what else to do. 

I could have asked Amy, and should have, I'm sure, but I've asked her that question enough times...so I tried to follow the advice she gave me yesterday-eat 3 extra mouthfuls per meal...just for my last meal, because I completely intended to eat all 5 meals until I came home and realized how exhausted I was.

Well.  We'll see how tomorrow goes.  I may or may not run in the am, depending on how my leg feels.  I'm just excited to wake up rested and possibly write down my dreams!  Whee!
So...I finally got my laundry done, watched an episode of Dexter and played with kitty.  Who loves to help me type.

I've been staving off this craving for something sugary since 4pm, so I hope that by going to bed, it will fix itself.

Here's to another solid day!

No comments:

Post a Comment