Thursday, June 23, 2011

Week Four, Day Four! On a Roll!

I had a pretty good day today.  I slept SO WELL because Little Miss Maybelle was locked in the bathroom all night and couldn't do Kitty Olympics on me.

However, I did wake up at 5:30am and have to go to the bathroom, and I just couldn't justify leaving her locked in there.  So I tried to get more sleep from 5:30am to 7am by covering my head with my sheet so she wouldn't try to claw my eyelashes again.  She just sat on my head and cried.  Then she wriggled her way under the covers and snuggled with me. 

I decided to sleep until 7:30am, thinking, "I should wait to eat until after I work out, and I probably didn't fall asleep until 11pm last night anyway, so, this should be fine."  I don't know if that's true, but it certainly did sound good at the time!  I'll have to ask Amy.

I got up and weighed myself.  Back to 140.8lbs.  It fluctuated down to 140.0lbs, and I thought this was the end of the 140's.  It will be soon, but not yet, I guess.  Although I would love to see the scale move, these numbers don't surprise or concern me.  I think it's really interesting that my body is changing (I'm beginning to see the outline of outer abs-you know the lines down the sides of your abs), and yet my weight is not.  No wonder people say not to weigh yourself too often.  I'm weighing myself every day anyway just for the sheer sake of watching how the numbers behave...to deepen my understanding of how trimming up really works.

I finally got around and met Paula for our run at 8am.  It was just an easy recovery-esque run for us both.  She has shin splints and I wanted to get my heart rate up without triggering my quads to cramp.  We may have run/walked for a half-hour.  I wasn't all that concerned.  Although, now that I think of it, when we got back, we were both dripping sweat.

I came home, ate breakfast, showered, and while I was getting my food ready for the day, I got to talk to Amy.  She was so happy to tell me that my time for a cheat meal was just around the corner!!!  She said eat clean for two more weeks, and then...GET THIS:  I get a cheat lunch, AND a cheat dinner, with possibly a cheat dessert!  She told me these are the guidelines:  1)Eat a meal high in carbs and high in fat.  (No problem, lady! 2)Eat until you are satisfied, not past that. (This one is harder.  It will take some serious restraint to let go of that high fat, high carb food.  I'm guessing that's why you get a cheat lunch, a cheat dinner, and a cheat dessert...you don't feel like you have to cram it all into one meal.  You can retrain yourself to eat the way you're engineered to eat.)

So, my job is to plan a day after these two weeks that indulging will fit in.  Amy specifically said something to the effect of "I want you to INDULGE.  I want you to really enjoy this."  And she said that my body will say "Thank you thank you thank you!"

So, for the rest of the day, my thoughts kept drifting to all the serious bad food I might eat.  Arts Fest Food?  Five Guys-a burger and fries with *GASP* KETCHUP???  The pudding that's been in my fridge?  Ice cream from Penn State?  A big fat sub?  WITH MAYO!

All of a sudden it felt hard again to stay on my plan.  I wanted the bad food NOW!  But only because I was thinking about it, and letting myself get trapped into the thoughts of scarcity and deprivation.  I had to remind myself that this diet isn't torture, it's a choice, and it actually makes me feel really good.  And I'm seeing results.  And it's changing the wiring in my brain.  So, yeah, sometime in the future, I'll get to indulge.  But for now, I'm just going to have to put my vision back in focus.

What is it I want to accomplish?  Oh, that's right.  See my belly muscles before I die.  How close am I?  Oh, just closer than I've ever been my whole life.  So...can I focus and eat clean and workout like usual?  Absolutely.

Unfortunately today, it was STILL so hard to get my meals on time.  I ate at 9am, 1:30pm, 5:00pm, and 8pm.  It was hard to eat around work.  And for dinner, I decided to have fish and broccoli and cauliflower and green beans (I forgot my asparagus!), but I had twice as much broc/cauliflower as normal, trying to follow the three mouthfuls more food.  I don't know if vegetables really count for the 3 mouthfuls more food, but I couldn't think of what else to improvise with.  Although...I did have turkey with me.

Anyway, now it's 11:30pm and I'm HUNGRY.  I'm also tired.  So I'm going to go to bed with the aspirations of getting up and doing bear runs before work tomorrow, because my body responds really well to working out in the am before I eat.

We'll see how this goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment