Thursday, July 5, 2012

Week 7, Day 4. Day 37, I rocked it!

So, I didn't get the sleep I wanted. I tossed and turned, then woke bolt upright at 4am and tossed and turned and had bad dreams until 8:30am, when I finally rolled out of bed.

I didn't go to the gym in the am. I told myself that sleep is more important than the gym. That's not entirely true. What's entirely true is that I didn't want to get out of bed.

I'm really trying to change that pattern, make a different choice, because your whole day is different and BETTER if you make it to the gym before breakfast. I also like to take time to empty my brain before breakfast. That's feels particularly wonderful.

Anyway, I was cranky all day because of the crappy sleep I got (but you wouldn't know it...it's like I'm incapable of being crabby these days). I went to get coffee for a headache around 3pm, but ended up looking for an Honest Tea instead. It was way too hot for coffee.

I had my first major "I don't WANT to eat chicken and vegetables! Wouldn't something from Irving's be phenomenal?" But I beat it. No excuses, no fudging. I ate my meal like I'm supposed to.

When I went home, I decided, grudgingly, that I would go to the gym. Every day. No excuses, no fudging. I promised myself I would only do something enjoyable, and I meant it.

I REALLY wanted to run. I haven't been running much lately because I do other kinds of working out, but I could work a run in here or there. So that's what I did.

My brain was going a mile a minute, I was just so grouchy. But I started to remember to "get into my body". In other words, start noticing how I'm moving, paying attention to form. What muscles are working? Feel your feet hit the floor. Listen to the sound it makes. That definitely helped me de-stress.

I did that for 8 minutes at 5mph, an easy pace. Then the urge struck me to do intervals. Suddenly, I wanted to run hard and fast. So I did. It turned out that under all that stress and feeling tired, I had crazy energy just waiting to get burnt off.

I did ten intervals. I thought about doing some lifting, but I remembered my promise to only do something fun that felt good tonight.

And it felt SO GOOD to do intervals!!! I felt so powerful and strong. 

But after those ten, I was finished, so I stretched, did 4 pushups and went home.

I drank a kale shake and ate dinner, which was shrimp and some cauliflower and some cashews.

I've been pooped ever since and I'm aiming for the gym again tomorrow morning. 7am is my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment