Sunday, May 20, 2012

Week 2, Day 7, I think.

I had another great day today!
I weighed in at 133.6, but I'm just at the point where the numbers fluctuate so much that I can let go. I like to check every day because it gives me a concrete data point, but like Amy says, don't get caught up in the numbers.

So, I had my healthy breakfast and then went to the barn to see the horses. Today I got to give a horse named Mel a bath. She was SO WELL BEHAVED!

I REALLY wanted a high fat, high sugar caffeinated drink when I got done. So...I stopped at Dunkin Donuts and got an iced coffee with skim milk and lite on the sugar. It so wasn't worth it. I didn't even drink it. Meaning, it didn't taste at all like I had hoped. So, instead of priming myself to need caffeine tomorrow, I dumped it.

I was thinking that maybe it was time for a cheat day and that's why I was craving high-sugar, high-fat...but as it turns out, as soon as I got home, I ate my clean meal and took a three hour nap. And I slept SO HARD!  I should pay better attention to how tired I am, because that's when I have cravings of all kinds. That nap was just what I needed. Not cheat-day food.

Oh, I was totally having awesome dreams about my friend's crazy wedding...among other things. But I was out so hard that I think I remember waking up at one point but I was so exhausted, I couldn't even open my eyes. It didn't scare me because I had no motivation to move whatsoever, but, looking back, I really couldn't move. I guess there is some sort of phase of sleep where a hormone is secreted through your body to paralyze you so that you can't sleepwalk and hurt yourself. I knew that, but I've never felt it so strongly.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that the CUTEST and SWEETEST thirteen year old boy taught me how to wash a horse all over again. His momma must be one proud lady.

When I woke up from my nap, I knew I needed to go to the gym for a lifting session.  Oh, but I could have stayed there all day!  So I got up and went.

One thing that I read in my Mel Robbins book, Stop Saying You're Fine, is that when you're feeling stuck and like you can't possibly do the thing you're supposed to do...start imagining yourself doing it. Amy calls this visualization (as do plenty of people) and she's been telling me this all along, but now I am finally starting to grasp how to use it.

I was kind of excited for my warm-up, which was just 10 minutes on the elliptical. It's not challenging, but it feels great. Then I did 8 exercises. 2 sets of all but the last one because I was shaky. Squats, forward lunges, bicep curls, tricep dips, dead lifts, push ups, chest press, and something we did in Kerry's class where you basically do a dead lift with less weight and lift one leg straight out behind you so that your upper body and lifted leg make a straight line parallel to the ground. I'll call them arabesques, even though I seriously doubt I'm right about that.

I didn't do this twice because it was hard enough the first time through. I practically fell over 3 times in a set of ten.

I thought about doing more, but I thought I could always build onto what I started next time.  Sometime good enough is good enough.

I immediately went to Green Bowl and ate. Lots of veggies...spinach, book choy, cabbage, squash, mushrooms with chicken. I put one scoop of sesame oil on my bowl...but then I cooked my chicken with it.  It's soooooo good I can hardly help myself. So, I figured with the veggies, I didn't need extra carbs, and with the sesame oil, I definitely got my fat.

I bought groceries and SO BADLY wanted to eat the roasted salted almonds (I'm hooked) with dried cranberries. But I didn't. I did buy some, but when I got home, I realized it was 9pm and I REALLY should not have anything to eat at that hour.

Today I also discovered (thanks to some help from Amy!) that when I want a treat that's a drink, like I so desperately did for the past couple of days, I can have Honest Tea's Peach Oo-la-long tea. I can probably have other kinds as well.

Well it's 10:19pm, and I want to get up for a run in the morning, so goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Today I bought some groceries and I really, really wanted to get some lemon-poppyseed muffins (omg love them) but I heard your voice in my head telling me to make better food choices. I had them in my hand, even! Ended up putting them back down thanks to digital you.

    Something that I've noticed a lot since one of my husband's doctors pointed it out - there's a difference between "hungry" and "not full." I'm constantly asking myself, "Am I really hungry? Or am I just not full?" And a lot of time I find that thirst disguises itself as hunger. Anyway, was wondering if you ever run across anything similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's amazing! And I can understand the lemon poppyseed muffins. And yes, all those things happen to me all the time! I, myself, have picked up an item or two, pulled into a drive through, etc. It's that moment when you acknowledge that you're making a choice that is so important. Because only then can you choose to make a different choice (this is how I quit smoking...felt like I was powerless to choose against the craving, but I wasn't!)
    And yes, hunger masks a TON if things for me. For example, if chocolate is available to me...I don't typically care if I'm hungry or not. I just want the chocolate. So, irresistable food is tough for me, but YES definitely thirst (you can observe this by taking a huge drink of water when you feel hunger pangs and then pay attention to your body's signals). Definitely boredom. Also for me, if I'm AVOIDING something unpleasant. If I'm frustrated. If I'm stressed at a low-moderate level. If I'm highly stressed I can't eat. Figure out what your triggers are. It's really interesting, and was surprising to me too.

    And keep me updated! Out was such a nice surprise to hear this!

    ReplyDelete