Thursday, June 9, 2011

Week Two, Day Four

Today started out really well because I went to bed last night instead of watching an episode of Dexter.  Yay for good decision-making!

I got up at 7:15am and ate my ginormous breakfast.  Then I met Paula for our running date.  We were using the Gymboss (see beautiful picture--------->)...
http://www.gymboss.com/buy.php
...to run for 2 minutes then walk for 1 minute for the first mile.  For the second mile, the plan was to run for 3 minutes, walk for 1, but...uh, technical problem, we didn't set the timer.  This was all fine and good.  We got a long interval in that time. What was NOT so fine and good was that it was getting SO HOT OUT.  I was really feeling like the air was thick and hard to move through.



I was also getting really worn down and couldn't understand why I couldn't seem to cough up any energy!  Get the lead out, already!  I mean, we were running those intervals faster than I normally run, but with the walk-breaks in-between, I thought that I would have more in my energy stores than 2 miles.

And, I am definitely going to have to get myself one of those things so that I can do Kerry/Amy workouts at home.  

By the time we finished mile 2, this was me:
I was so proud of myself for dutifully applying sunscreen this morning, and now it was running in my eyes, mixed with sweat and burning, and my body isn't cooling down, even though I'm in the shade.  I'm just radiating heat.  And I'm pretty convinced it's NEVER GOING TO GET BETTER.  So, after Paula left, not to make a scene or anything, I head over to the water fountain to do two things: 1) Drink my weight in cold water.  2) Douse my body with water.

I had already started pouring my bottle of water over my arms and hands, since that seemed easy enough to manage.  Now, I'm at it like it is SRZ BZNS.  I'm dumping water on my head and patting it into my hair, I've dumped water all across my chest and back and can feel it collecting in my bra...and once I felt sufficiently doused, with a puddle on the concrete at my feet, and my energy returning, I decided to fill up my water bottle and try for ONE. MORE. MILE.  Well.  I'm at least still considering the possibility.  I'm at least letting it roll around in my brain.

As I stand there at the water fountain, a sixty year old woman in a pink sports bra and cute little running shorts with a HOT BODY (I'm not kidding) comes panting up for the water fountain.  Of course, I stepped aside...if only because my jaw hit the floor.

I stood at inward disbelief of myself.  Did I really just put on a drama queen show of dousing myself with water like I might die of heat exhaustion while this woman, twice my age runs up to the water fountain, (smiles and calls me a lifesaver for letting her hop in immediately :)), takes a sip and goes on her merry little way, running off into the distance.  Really?

Ok, ok, ok.  I KNOW I shouldn't compare myself to other people.  That's something I am really working on avoiding not doing anymore.  I have no idea what this woman's history is that she's able to look DAMN GOOD in a sports bra at 60.  But you are DEAD WRONG if you think I gave myself the "don't compare yourself to other people" chat before I gave myself the, "oh, for fuck's sake, you're running another mile" chat.

So I started out for ONE. MORE. MILE.  I'm seriously jogging at a pretty slow pace.  I think, "Come on, you are totally being a wimp, pick it up."  And then I just don't.  Then I get to the very slight hill part and notice that I am going SO. SLOW.  I think again, "Come on!  Put some kind of pep in your step.  DO SOMETHING!  MOVE!"  And yet again, I just keep going at the same pathetic pace until I think, "Ok fine.  I'm really done for the day."

Long story short, I made it through about 2/3 of the mile, and walked the rest of the way.  I was toast.  I guess I will really have to work on conditioning myself to run in the heat and humidity.  I'm certainly ready for the challenge!  If that lady can condition herself, certainly, I can too.  Not that I'm comparing. 

I did really well with my meals today except that after my chiropractor's appt (which was about an hour after the run), I knew I had to lie down.  I had a headache and the urge to sleep was just taking me over, so I did.  For three hours.  Which totally threw off my eating schedule. 

AND, today was the last day of eating the dry, boiled chicken.  NO MORE!  I got a great tip on how to cook chicken so that it is tender that is also not tedious.  I could share, but I'm sure it's this little thing you all know about called BAKING.  BAKE THE CHICKEN.  Throw spices on it.  Cut it up when it's done.  Duh.  Why didn't I think of that??? But a huge thanks goes out to Dawn for setting me on a tastier path!  Tomorrow, I will pick up chicken from the farmer's market, reducing the likelihood that it has additional hormones and stuff in it.  Yay me!

Anyway, I felt a whole lot better after I got up, but still had to work, and never really did regain an energetic feeling.  Every time I took the stairs at work, I felt like I was just moving dead weight.  I usually prance up and down stairs.  It's true.  I get caught doing weird things like that all the time.  I don't even have to explain anymore.  But not tonight.  Tonight I dragged my sorry ass up and down those stairs.  Here's hoping for a more energetic day tomorrow.

And on that note, I'm going to bed, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment